Pay her a visit. For the openminded, it doesn’t really matter what faith one’s got; especially when you’re on a road trip. A visit to Tagaytay is not complete without heeding Mama Mary’s call. The Our Lady of Lourdes Parish grounds is a serene escape from the hustle and bustle outside its gates. The picturesque place of spiritual respite is mainly composed of 5 interests namely: the old church, the Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto replica, the Kubo ni Maria souvenir shop, the candle chapel, the Jardin ni Padre Pio and the new church.
Established by the Capuchin priests (after Tagaytay became a chartered city a couple of years earlier) in 1940, the Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Church stands majestically at the heart of the city. In 1938, after the purchase of the land by the religious order, what was initially planned to be a cool resting place for the missionaries; eventually transformed into a full-pledged parish.
Before the Capuchins arrived, protestant pastors and the Aglipayans already made their presence felt and for the very first time, the clergymen likewise realized the need to service the residents’ spiritual necessities. This the reason why in 1939, they asked for permission to put up a ‘Public Oratory” from the then Manila Archbishop Miguel O’Doherty. This was to give the people the chance to join masses and other liturgical activities.
The inauguration of the Our Lady of Lourdes Parish Tagaytay was held on
the 4th of August, 1940. Although the Second World War caused major problems in its initial years of existence, it proved to be of no hindrance to the parish’s growth and development; and in 1959, a building was erected which housed the seminarians with a part of it as the parish church proper.
To accommodate the overflowing attendance to its Sunday services, the parish constructed a far more spacious church which was blessed and inaugurated on the 2nd of February, 2003. The dedication was held exactly 5 years later with the then Archbishop Antonio Tagle.